Indian Institute of Forest Management
The Indian Institute of Forest Management is a sectoral management institute, which constantly endeavors to evolve knowledge useful for the managers in the area of Forest, Environment and Natural Resources Management and allied sectors. It disseminates such knowledge in ways that promote its application by individuals and organizations. IIFM has been established with the following objectives :
* Provide training in management and related subjects for persons from the Indian Forest Service, Forest Departments, Forest Development Corporation and Forest related industries with a view to equip them to practice the art and profession of management of forestry development.
* Inculcate an appreciation in those selected for training, that conservation is of overriding importance in the management of living natural resources and that the primary role of forests is the vital ecological and environmental purpose they serve.
* Select and prepare outstanding and talented young persons for careers leading to management responsibility in forestry and the forest-related system.
* Meet the need of Indian forestry and forest-related industry and commerce in respect of upto-date information on forestry management through research, consulting and publication.
* Assist, institute and carry out research in matters concerning the use of management and allied techniques and methods conducive to the development of forestry in the country.
* Institute awards, scholarships, fellowships, prizes and medals in accordance with the rules and bye-laws.
* Create patronships, affiliations & other classes of professional or honorary membership or office, as the society may consider necessary.
The mandate of IIFM is appropriately reflected in its mission statement :
“To Provide Leadership in Professional Forestry Management Aimed at Environmental Conservation and Sustainable Development of Ecosystems”
Multistoried air-conditioned library with wide range of literature.
A collection of 312 films on forestry, environment, conservation & management. The Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) facility is available on all terminals connected through LAN.
More than 37,500 books and subscription to more than 280 National & International periodicals.
A number of CDs and DVD’s on varied topics of academic interests.
Subscription to a number of international e-journals.
Institutional membership with Developing Library Network (DELNET).
Continuous updating of resource base and inclusion of publication of current interest.
IIFM is equipped with excellent computing resources. The Computer Centre has hardware and software resources that are capable of providing support for diverse computing requirements. It has a number of desktops in Local Area Network (LAN) and has state-of-the-art Geographic Information System (GIS) and Image Processing facilities. Computing support is provided to students twenty four hours a day.
* Campus wide local area network with wireless LAN support on a fiber optic backbone having computers on multiple domain supporting Word Processing, Spreadsheet and RDBMS Packages, Statistical Software, CASE Tools, Programming languages, Project Management and Financial Accounting Software.
* Latest Desktops with TFT, AO sized scanner, AO sized digitizer, AO sized plotters, Laser and High Speed Printers, ARC/INFO GIS Software, ERDAS Imagine Digital Image Processing Software, SPSS, Tally.
* 24 Hours Internet connectivity, Wi-Fi classrooms including E-mail through a dedicated leased line of 4 MBPS from BSNL and National Knowledge Network (NKN)
* Video conferencing facility is also available for various activities.
Hostel and Mess facilities
Hostel complex consists of three hostels namely, Nilgiri, Vindhyachal and Aravalli, altogether have fully furnished 112 rooms with separate block for girls (Aravalli Hostel) to accommodate (on twin sharing basis) students. All the hostels are provided with solar/geyser facility for hot water facility round the year. The hostels have common rooms with TV and DTH Connection (full package), gym and indoor games etc. The hostel rooms are connected with internet facility through LAN. Doctors are visiting the IIFM Campus on every alternate day. Students can consult them free of cost and they have to procure medicines on their own. In case of medical emergency students are provided Institute’s vehicle to consult doctors outside the campus. Sports complex consists of Volley Ball, Basket Ball, Lawn Tennis and Badminton Courts. TT Table is also placed in the Badminton Hall and in girl’s hostel. A play ground is also available for football and cricket.
Hostel complex have three air conditioned rooms for providing accommodation for parents visiting their wards at nominal charges.
Students are encouraged to organize various activities i.e., sports, cultural, literary activities through various clubs formed under Students Affairs and Alumni Council (SAAC), whose officials are elected by the students themselves. By this they feel home like situation in the campus.
Mess is run by student mess committee (elected term-wise) on cooperative basis. Basic infrastructure and partial manpower are provided by the Institute as a subsidy. The Mess is equipped with automated and semi-automated equipment and cooking systems. It is capable of serving about 300 people at-a-time.
A wide range of sporting facilities are available on campus. The Institute has good facilities for indoor and outdoor sports like Badminton, Lawn Tennis, Table Tennis, Carrom, Football, Cricket and Volleyball. Intra-Institute sports tournaments are organized regularly and the Institute participates every year in the All India Forest Sports and Games Meet organized by the Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India. Each activity inculcates a sense of discipline and sportsmanship. While a defeat calls for an improvement, a victory teaches us not to merely rest on our laurels but to strive for perfection. Each tournament is marked with a high level of energy, display of god like sporting skills and keen participation. Here at IIFM, every goal scored is cheered, every run scored is applauded and every point won calls for a great celebration.
Register below to get details
[table id=43 /]