View Contacts

Queen Mary’s College has been in the forefront of the education of women ever since July 1914, when the Government of Madras instituted the Madras Women’s College. The initial intake of 33 students was housed in a modest building called ‘Capper House’. However, by 1915, the college premises were expanded through the government’s annexure of the area surrounding Capper House. At this stage it offered only Intermediate courses. In 1916 under graduate courses were offered in History and Economics. Eventually Intermediate courses in subjects like Geography, Indian Music, Physics, Chemistry and Home Science were introduced.

Miss De La Hey was the first Principal of the college. The name of the college was changed to Queen Mary’s College in 1917. This college which was started on an experimental basis flourished and gained permanent status in 1918. By this time it had acquired fame and many young women who entered its portals for education, took wing after completing their courses.

An education in Queen Mary’s College was much sought after by parents of young women and families of high social standing coveted education in QMC for their daughters. This train of success carried the college to its momentous Golden Jubilee Celebration in 1964. To witness this occasion, Miss. D. Delahey M.A.,B.T., the first Principal of the College travelled from England: she offered her felicitations and delivered the welcome address. The Golden Jubilee Hall was inaugurated on this occasion. The building which houses the Golden Jubilee Hall also has a number of classrooms.

Another milestone was crossed in 1965, when the late, Mr. M. Bhaktavatsalam inaugurated the PUC course for the evening college.

Another milestone was crossed in 1965, when the late, Mr. M. Bhaktavatsalam inaugurated the PUC course for the evening college.

In 1975 Diamond Jubilee of the college was celebrated. The highlight of this occasion was that the former Prime Minister Mrs. Indira Gandhi graced the occasion.  In 1987-1988 the college acquired ‘Autonomous’ status. In 1990 the Platinum Jubilee Celebrations were  held. The then Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu Mr. M. Karunanidhi  graced the occasion. To commemorate this event a new building was constructed. The special focus of the Platinum Jubilee year was the introduction of the B.Sc. Computer Science.
In 2010 “Kalaignar Maligai”, new building, was opened by former chief Minister M. Karunanidhi  In 2012 a new building having 10 class rooms and laboratories was  inaugurated by Chief Minister J. Jayalalitha.

Course Name:MCAB. Sc.M. Sc.B. Com.M. Com.
Duration:3 Years3 Years2 Years3 Years2 Years
Affiliation:University of MadrasUniversity of MadrasUniversity of MadrasUniversity of MadrasUniversity of Madras
Fees:As alloted by the UniversityAs alloted by the UniversityAs alloted by the UniversityAs alloted by the UniversityAs alloted by the University
Seats:As alloted by the UniversityAs alloted by the UniversityAs alloted by the UniversityAs alloted by the UniversityAs alloted by the University


10+2 with PCM

B. Sc.


B. Com.

Important Dates:
Approved by:N/AN/AN/AN/AN/A
Mode of Learning:RegularRegularRegularRegularRegular
Course Category:Post GraduateUnder GraduatePost GraduateUnder GraduatePost Graduate
Salient Features:

In order to make it more conducive for young women outside Chennai, to secure the benefits of higher education, the college hostel was started in 1951, As the student strength increased, the demand for hostel accommodation also increased. To meet this need, a new building which accommodates 250 students was constructed for the hostel in 1974.
Health and hygiene are given top priority with regard to the hostel mess and maintenance of the hostel. It is also cost effective to make it affordable for students.


HAMILTON BRIDGE BRANCH CHENNAI An Extension counter of DENA BANK – HAMILTON BRIDGE Branch is functioning within the College campus.


The Ancient and the Modern
The Library of Queen Mary's College is located in Jeypore Block on the campus. This ancient library houses rare books. As Queen Mary's College has the distinction of having departments of Hindi, Urdu, Telugu, Sanskrit and French, the library also has a good collection of books in these languages. The General Library has more than 94,944 books.  Apart from this, each department has its own library.  The college library is well equipped with computers and internet facility.  A new building (the Digital library) has been constructed to accommodate its growing collection of books.
E books and Online Journals
Queen Mary's College subscribes to UGC INFLIBNET (Information Library Network) N-List which makes it possible for it to have access to 75000 e-books and 3,500 e-journals. Every student and every faculty member has individual access to N-List (National Library and Information Services Infrastructure for Scholarly content. N-List enhances e-learning. Scholars and teachers have access to the full text of journal articles and also archival back issues of journals in all areas of learning.
Amenities and Training for the Visually Challenged
The Library has a separate section for the Visually Challenged. This section is equipped with computers that have special software which facilitates independent learning. DVD Players are also available. Training programs for the visually challenged have been conducted regularly from 2006-07. The Librarian takes the responsibility to organize training programs (in batches) for all the visually challenged students who have enrolled in the college.


The activities organized are listed below:

* Conducting op for all students including college and Hostel students (Around 60-80/day)

* Checking BP and Gynec consultations for all teaching and non-teaching staff (Around 20-30/day)

* Conducting camps with association with NSS/RRC/students cell counseling committee.

* Organizing camps for diabetic, Anemic for all college students in association with NSS.

* As a Students cell committee member,counsel the patients for their physical and mental problems.

* Conducting BMI camps and health wellness camps for the students and staff in association with YRC groups.

* Meetings for 1st year students regarding diet, wellness awareness and hygienic are also conducted.


Placement Cell
‘Education for employability’ is one of the catchphrases in the 21st century scenario.  Queen Mary’s College is alive to the changing trends and milieu. It has, through its Placement Cell, which was established in 2007, taken up the challenge of creating that interface between the two worlds of education and employment. The Placement Officer is a vital link connecting the students of the college with prospective employers and also with organizations which offer training. The Placement Officer also takes the initiative to organize workshops on personality development, tips for facing interviews and career guidance. Similar workshops on self employment are conducted for students who have an inclination towards individual enterprise.
The Placement Cell also strives to keep in step with the employment opportunities in IT (Information Technology) related fields:  free coaching classes in Computer Hardware Maintenance, MS Office tools and Internet, Mobile Phone Maintenance, Financial Accounting, Software Tally 9.0 and Auto Cad 2008 were organized for the students.
The Placement Cell has to its credit been instrumental in the placement of several students in IT companies such as WIPRO, Southerland, Tally and HCL. Employment through the Cell is not confined to IT, as evidenced through the placement of Home Science students in MV Diabetes Care Centre and Chemistry students in Domes-e-data.
As the Placement Cell strives to be a storehouse of information for the students, it also conveys through its student development programmes, this conviction - The dynamics between ‘Attitude’ and ‘Aptitude’ determines the ‘Altitude’ to which the student soars.

Register below to get details



Please fill up the form.

Ask Your Query